Sunday, September 27, 2015

Colorado Springs Day 2

We drove up to Pikes Peak today. I have never driven to Pikes Peak before. I HAD NO IDEA. The drive is TERRIFYING if you are afraid of heights. There are several stretches of this road that have a straight drop off. One jerk of the wheel and we are all going to die. 

It didn't seem to bother EJ at all. The man has nerves of steel. Any man who can drive a 15 passenger van up that dangerous road while listening to the sounds of his panicked children in the background should be given an award. He never even got nervous. I was freaking out inside but I held it together to comfort my children. All the while I was thinking, WHAT HAVE WE DONE?

I was turned around trying to calm them all down. "Look at your Daddy." I commanded. "Does he look scared? No. He is just fine and so are you."

Please notice that I did not say, "Look at me." That would have been dumb. I WAS SCARED. I was just acting brave because that is what a Momma does in this situation.

Praise the Good Lord we made it to the top.

We calmed everyone down and convinced them to get out of the van. We took some pictures and then ate our lunch in the van with all the children safely strapped into their seats. I was NOT looking forward to the drive back down. Turns out it is much less scary going down.

The cost for this ride up the mountain was a $34 gate fee and a lifetime of trauma.








Next stop.

Coffee.

To calm my nerves.

Then we headed to the Garden of the Gods. Another FREE experience. We went to the visitors center and then drove the loop. We had to get out for a little while to see these amazing rocks up close and take a couple of pictures.















Tonight's Menu: BBQ Chicken Sandwiches



Late that night, we put the little men down for bed and then the older four watched the blood moon with us. It was beautiful. I will always remember sharing that moment with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment