Friday, March 27, 2015

Cysts Suck...(don't tell my mom I cussed)

I have had issues with my fertility forever.  

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome as a teen.  

When EJ and I wanted to start a family, two years past with no pregnancy.

I have miscarried twice. The first time I lost one baby.  The second time I lost twins.

God blessed us tremendously with 4 biological babies and 2 bonus (adopted) babies.

I am still in awe that I went from wondering if I would ever have a child to having six!

Through the years I have ruptured painful ovarian cysts but have never had to have surgery to remove one...

Until now.

My left ovary was growing a humdinger of a cyst.

I joked with my doctor that if I'm not growing a baby then I'll grow something else.

We had hopes that he could remove the large cyst and leave the ovary intact.

Here is a graphic I found that shows a good picture of a large ovarian cyst.


The surgery I had was done this way. My favorite Dr. K was the surgeon of course.


Here I am ready to go! I put on my brave face so the kids could see my picture. 


I prayed that the nurse would be able to put my iv in on the first try. I do not have easy veins and I've had some pretty awful experiences. Praise the Lord she got it right away!

I prayed that my fertility could be spared.

When Dr. K got in there he discovered that my cyst was larger than my uterus. My ovary could not be saved.  

That is the bad news.  The good news: my right ovary is still there and should happily take over.

To my left ovary,

Thank you for the good times. I forgive you for the bad times. I'm not sure which of my babies started as eggs on your side but I'm going to assume at least one or two.  For that I will always be grateful. Now take your massive cyst with you and leave. I prefer to live pain free.

Signed,
Me

(While no surgery recovery is fun, I would just like to state for the record...this is a picnic compared to the 4 c-sections I've had.)

No comments:

Post a Comment