Tuesday, August 11, 2015

You are loved by the King, Sister

Tonight I went to the hospital to see two newborn babies. Two of our most precious friends delivered baby girls on the same day. Same hospital. Same doctor. Life is fun! 

I headed to the hospital after our kids were in bed and their Daddy was home from his evening appointments.

At the hospital, I snuggled one baby blessing and then headed to another room to snuggle the other one. They were beautiful!

It was pretty late when I left. I don't know about your town but in our town the hospital is not in the best area. I always feel a little weird leaving there late at night. The parking garage seems a little creepy when it is so late.

I got to my car without incident and headed towards the highway. As I entered the on ramp I noticed a vehicle was partially blocking the road. It looked like maybe I could fit beside them and be on my way. As I attempted to pass them, I looked in the drivers window to see what was going on. A woman was in the drivers seat, her eyes said it all. She needed help.

I stopped and rolled down my window.

"Do you need help?" I asked (Honestly, I was hoping she wouldn't need my help. It was late. I was tired. I needed to get home.)

"Yes." she said. "Do you have a gas can? Or some money?"

"I don't have a gas can. Let me see if I have some cash." I said.

I dug around in my purse and found NO CASH.

Stinkin'.

"I don't have any cash on me but I could go and get you some gas." I said.

She said, "I'll send my little brother with you." 

I could tell she didn't really want to send her little brother with me. After all, I am a stranger. Truthfully, I didn't feel good about taking a stranger into my car at that moment, in the dark, either.

We were blocking the road and vehicles were beginning to pull up behind us. 

"I'll go get the gas." I said. "I'll be right back."

I headed straight to the gas station. The man behind the counter gave me a gas can that only held 1 gallon. I filled it up but felt unsettled. This will not get her very far. What will she do next? I felt a strong urge to get her some cash. I went to the ATM and pulled some money out.

What will I say to her, Lord?

What do you want me to say?

"YOU ARE LOVED BY THE KING" was my answer.

I headed back toward her car.

At this point, I noticed a very young woman (not the driver) walking with a baby on her hip towards the gas station (she wasn't far from the vehicle just yet). Maybe they had given up on me. After all, they had no idea if I would be true to my word.

I told her that I had the gas. She looked relieved and headed back towards the car.

I pulled up behind their vehicle, put my hazards on and got out of the car. I handed her little brother the gas can and he went to work filling up the gas tank. I walked up to the drivers side window and handed her the money. I put my hand on her shoulder and said...

"You are loved by the King, Sister."

That is all that needed to be said.

He loves her.

I am honored that He let me tell her.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great story, praying for this little family!

    ReplyDelete