Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Australia Day 3

We were all awake in the 5 o'clock hour. Breakfast at 6:30am. We visited with new friends and then headed to our room to prepare for our big day at the Great Barrier Reef.

A bus picked us up at our hotel and took us to the marina. We loaded a big boat called the Quicksilver. 



It took us about 1 1/2 hours to get out to the Great Barrier Reef. Once we were there we ate lunch on the boat.

EJ ate an octopus much to the disgust of our table mates. I have been adventurous on this trip but I cannot bring myself to eat an octopus in that form. Yuck.




Next up, prepare to snorkel!

Turns out that it is jellyfish season here. You cannot swim free in the ocean. You have to wear a lycra body suit to be safe from jellyfish stings. This fancy number covers you from head to toe. You slip them on like panty hose. Then you Stuff your swimming suit inside and zip up. We were actually pretty tickled with ourselves.



We got fitted with fins, masks, snorkels and life jackets.



EJ and B went for it. They were so excited to get in there.



W got a little nervous when it was time to get in the water. I promised him that I would stay by his side today. I wouldn't push him to do things he wasn't comfortable with. I watched him muster up all his courage and get in the water. He was so brave. I was so proud of him! As we swam together pointing out the amazing fish and corral we were seeing, I was overcome with emotion. I will never forget that moment. I got to snorkel with my son at the Great Barrier Reef. I was about to start the ugly cry right there in my mask and snorkel. It would not have been pretty...sniffing, snotting, snorting and trying to breath. I pulled myself together. I promised myself I could have a good 'ol cry later on land.



A boat ride back to the marina then a bus ride back to the resort. We rushed to get ready for our theme dinner...Flames of the Forest.




It was like an episode of Survivor on Tribal Council night. There were torches lighting the way to the first stop. Drinks and appetizers were in the first little area along with beautiful lights everywhere. There were lights high in the trees and there were beautiful tree sculptures with candles on every limb. There was a tribal man playing the didgeridoo.




When this portion of the meal was over we were lead further into the forest to an area with a large tent and lots of tables. We were treated to course after course of delicious food. There was a band playing as we ate. Then we were entertained by fire dancers. Their skill was unbelievable.




Next up, the infamous Cane Toad races. Our own W got to participate in this race. You had to kiss your toad before you raced it. Oh. My. He was a good sport.



Finally, we loaded back into the bus to return to the resort. Another fantastic day had come to a close. We fell into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment