Friday, March 4, 2016

Australia Day 1

After careful planning and serious preparation, we boarded a plane with B & W on a HUGE adventure. These guys have always loved the animals of Australia. 

We have recently let it sink in that these boys are half way through their growing up years. Say What????

Their original passports were done when they were ages 2 and 1. It was time for an update. These days they tell you not to smile when you have your photo taken. Passport photos are serious business.






One of the ways that EJ's company pays their Advisors is through a trip program. These trips are earned (not won) by hard working Advisors across the US and Canada. My stud husband earns a trip every six months. We do not take a trip every six months because...6 going on 7 kids. We just cannot make it work most of the time. Through the years we have been to Rome, Los Cabos in Mexico, Turks and Caicos, a Caribbean Cruise, Sea Island in Georgia, and Disney World. Our company is amazing. They see the value of families going on adventures together. We are so thankful!

With the impending adoption of Mei Mei, I know that life will need to slow down again. Mei Mei is going to need me to tend to her like a newborn baby. We will all need to adjust to one another and she will need to be HOME most of the time. She will need to learn what home and family means in her life. There will be little to nothing on the schedule for a good long while after she comes home. (By the way, another awesome thing about EJ's company...they reimburse us $5,000 when our adoptions are finalized. I adore this about them.)

This past summer we decided now was the time to take our oldest two on a trip. After all, the little guys can stay with grandparents now. No one is nursing. Our "babies" are 2. Weird. This baby season was intense. I think I have a hard time believing it is over.

Leaving the youngest four was hard but I knew they would have fun at Pop and Grammy's house. I chose little gifts for them from the dollar bin. Each day they opened a gift to play with. I wrote a card to go with each gift that told them what we were doing that day in Australia. I also prepped meals and put them in the freezer so Grammy would have dinner each night. I know that keeping meals going is hard and we have food allergies to deal with as well.

So...back to the trip. We boarded one plane to get us to Dallas. It was a quick flight. The excitement was palpable. It was hard to believe it was really happening.







Then we flew from Dallas to Sydney, Australia. That plane ride is almost 17 hours. You heard me right, 17 HOURS. We took off at 8:10pm Dallas time and arrived at 6am Sydney time. Somewhere in there we lost a day due to the international dateline. I can't seem to wrap my brain around that. We get the day back on the way home so whatever.







I wish I could say that the seats on a flight that long are cushy and comfortable. 

They are not. 

I wish I could say you have tons of leg room. 

You do not. 

I wish I could say the seats fold all the way down and a foot rest kicks out. 

It does not.

Thankfully, the seat in front of you has a screen on the back. You can choose to watch movies or play games. It is a delightful little set up. 

Unless you are me. 

Mine was broken. 

Well, technically B's was broken so I switched him seats. 

Thankfully I had several audio books downloaded so I had some form of entertainment while EJ and the boys were watching movies.

We were supposed to sleep a number of those hours. We certainly tried to sleep. We noticed how easily others seemed to sleep. It must be some kind of skill only certain people have.  I am not those people. Neither are my two boys. EJ slept like a rock. The boys and I faded in and out. 

Here is the thing. Having six babies makes you tough. I can certainly deal with a little sleep deprivation. The last time I was on an oversees flight was in 2005 when EJ and I went to Italy. We thought we were so tired. We did not have children yet. We certainly hadn't experiences two babies who were five months apart. We had no idea what that kind of tired felt like. Now we have a frame of reference. 

The staff on the flight to Australia were amazing. They were all so kind, helpful and beautiful. They did not have a hair out of place. Their make up was impeccable. They remained this way for 17 hours. On the other hand, my looks were deteriorating quickly. Honestly, I really didn't care. I had just survived a night in an upright chair. 


When we arrived in Sydney we were SO HAPPY to get off that plane. We got through customs and even worked out a problem with our visas. 


Next up was baggage claim. One, Two, Three of our bags came around the carousel. Hmmm...Where is the 4th bag? W's suitcase is missing. We reported the missing bag. The staff was so kind. They took all our info and off we went. I prayed that bag would make it on our next flight. Thankfully, we split the boys clothes 1/2 and 1/2 between their suitcases for just this reason. 

We all brought a change of clothes and a toothbrush in our carry on luggage. We hit the bathrooms and freshened up. Read wiped ourselves down with baby wipes and changed clothes.

It was time to board another plane. 3 hours in the air this time. Nothing for us world travelers. 

We arrived in Cairns and headed to baggage claim. Miracle of all miracles, W's bag was there. Thank you Lord! 

We discovered that this sign is on the bathroom doors all over Australia. We would like to take this time to thank them for letting us know not to balance our feet on the toilet seat while doing our business.

(Now I am wondering what signs we will see in China when we visit there and experience squatty potties for the first time.)

Now it was time to load a bus and drive for about 1 hour to our final destination, Port Douglas. I get motion sickness. I had been warned that this drive was on curvy roads. I gave myself a talking to and tried to keep looking ahead and breathing deep. I handled that drive like a boss! I had to pee so bad that I couldn't concentrate on anything. Perhaps my body was too busy dealing with my crisis over the full bladder to focus on the nauseating drive. I made it to the resort without puking or wetting myself. That is a win.

We checked in to our hotel, met some new friends and settled in to our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom swim up apartment.





Then we had lunch.

(Crocodile Spring Rolls)

By this time, I realized that my feet decided that much travel was the same as 9 months of pregnancy. They blew up. I don't think they would have even fit in crocks. My feet and ankles were done.



I threw back two fantastic coffees at lunch. They make me the most delicious drink they call a "long black" with hot milk. I don't know how they do the voodoo that they do so well but have mercy it is good. My fellow coffee lovers get me. We must have good coffee even while on vacation. It is the law.


No sleeping. We must all stay awake and make our bodies adjust to Australia time.

EJ and the boys went for a swim and I headed for the bathtub. I needed to wash all that travel off me.



Before we knew it, it was time for our big Welcome Dinner. We all got gussied up and headed out the door. But first, selfies. Listen, I intend to take a selfie of nearly every outfit I wear. Also, I will often take a face selfie of my hair and make up all done. I have zero shame about this. I am a mother. I live my life in yoga pants with my hair up and no make up. If I am going to get fancied up every day it will be documented.





We had special dinner guests. A crocodile and a koala. Oh. my. We were all so happy to meet these little fellas. They wouldn't let us hold this koala but we heard that we get to hold one tomorrow. Lordy Mercy, I want to snuggle a koala.






Please tell me you love this picture as much as I do. I don't think the Crocodile handler thought he was very funny. Just a hunch.



We were waiting for dinner to begin when this started happening...



Then this...


A kind waiter brought the boys some juice to perk them up while they waited for food.

They barely ate their dinner. They were done. We snuck some desserts for them and brought them to the room. They didn't even have the energy to eat them. I tucked them into bed at 7:45pm. They fell asleep immediately.

EJ headed back to the room and tucked in beside me by 8:15pm.  I was on the bed working on this post. Writing makes me happy. Adventures make me happy. Pictures make me happy. I was in my happy place.

Oh and I was also drinking a glass of wine and praying my ankles and feet would pull themselves together.



By 9pm, I had to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment